This year was the first year that I’ve truly figured out what it means to take time for yourself. Ever since I graduated high school, I’ve been in a constant state of go, go, go. At the time I didn’t think it was a problem at all. Never resting and constantly going in life is the norm right? It’s just what people do?
For most, wasting time should be avoided at all costs. Even though you should always work hard and push yourself even harder to achieve your passions, we can’t forget that you need time to yourself to re energize. You have to build yourself around your limits.
Taking time to yourself. The time where it can help a type of rediscovery. It’s the time to take a step back and take a deep breath. When you don’t do this act of self love, your life starts to become a race with no checkpoints. Before you get to the finish line, you need to take care of your well-being and stop when needed in order to finish the race.
Taking time to yourself is so important, it’s one of the top ways of self care.
THREE QUICK TIPS:
- Keep Your Mind Clear
- Keeping your mind clear emotionally and mentally is very important. Take a moment to write down your thoughts and reminders so you can fully empty your mind. Even if it’s just for a couple minutes. Being mentally overwhelmed can take a huge toll on you.
- Focus On Setting Your Priorities
- You don’t need to follow the footsteps of everyone else in your life or anyone around your life. Become your own person with your own intentions. Do what makes you happy and focus on creating your current reality.
- Simplify Your Life
- Making this short and well, simple; If your mind feels cluttered, your life is probably filled with some type of clutter. These things don’t need to be materialistic either, it can be a calendar that is cluttered with to-do’s, your planner getting fully booked, etc.
Benefits Of Taking Time To Yourself:
- Improves concentration
- Helps control your emotions
- Builds your self esteem
- Ability to sleep better
- Stronger realization of your surroundings
- This time can help you figure out what your passions are
- Helps you have better sleep
- More clarity, less distraction
10 Ways On How To Take “Me” Time:
- Take a walk
- Read a book
- Watch the sunset or sunrise
- Writing or journaling
- Stay off all technology/social media for at least an hour
- Spend time with people you care about
- Try a new fitness class
- Take one day out of the month to make a whole day to yourself
- Do a guided meditation
- Listen to a podcast
Never feel guilty for wanting to take time for yourself. Doing simple things to have that time, even if it’s for 30 minutes a day is so important for your health. When people think of how to do this with such a busy schedule, they often overthink what this actually means (including me). You might already be taking this time but you’re not letting yourself relax and cherish these moments while it’s happening. If you already do the things I mentioned above and other ways to take time for yourself but don’t know how to enjoy it, do some research on how to quiet your mind, body and soul. Continue practicing this and just like meditation, it will get easier over time.